Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Create | Hair Accessory Organizer

  We have two girls. two. and they leave their hair pieces E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E! I used one of those deluxe type make up organizers with the divided compartments from my favorite [bulls-eye] store, but it was a hassle to drag it out. It's big and bulky and I forgot to take a before picture of it. It was a mess. Pieces everywhere. I saw something like this on pinterest, so I figured it's time to make it. I've been saving this dishwasher tab container for .... awhile....

  The girls love it! So if I hear "But I can't find a rubber band!!!" I'm probably going to go insane! haha! It's all organized in a super simple way. This didn't take very long to do. I contemplated covering it with fabric or scrapbook paper or wrapping paper, but in the end I opted for ultimate simplicity and went with spray paint! So if you're going the spraypaint route....

  What You Need:
+ some sort of container [with or without a lid]
+ spray primer
+ spray clear top coat [optional]
+ spray paint of desired color
+ hot glue gun and glue sticks
+ some type of stand [i used a vintage candlestick, you can use wood if you like and spray paint it too]
+ ribbon or lace
+ a strong magnet [if you have bobby pins you need to corral]

  What to Do:
+ prime! I prime everything now when i paint. it makes the paint stick better and not peel off
+ after primer is dry, spray the color you wish!
+ spray paint in layers. so that you don't get running streaks or drops.
+ after paint is dry and you have achieved optimum coverage, figure out the middle point on the bottom to attach the stand.
+ hot glue your stand to the middle
+ hot glue a magnet to the inside for bobby pins [optional] i put a tiny rubber band around them that the kids don't use to keep them together. works really well for us.
+ hot glue one or two [or three or four...] strips of lace or ribbon to the inside. let hang over side.
+ add hair accessories!

I prefer a minimalist look. I really want to put the clips inside, but i want it to be easy to get to for the kids. They love it this way, so I just turn it on the counter in the bathroom so that the ribbons are in the back. NOW when they leave it out, it doesn't look messy and they can quickly put all of their hair stuff away. Their brush actually fits in here too standing up [full size regular brush].









xoxo, 
       jane

No comments:

Post a Comment